Thursday, April 26, 2007

1st Blog Entry - The Beginning of the Rest of my Life

GINFWMY - God is not finished with me yet. For this, I am grateful.

Gene gave me a GINFWMY button. But I lost it. (This phrase is true in more than one way.) Maybe I will replace it one day... Over a decade ago, I liked the responses to this enigmatic acronym posted on my chest. It's interesting that I am wearing buttons again (little cross on a Jamaican flag, UTech logo, and Herbalife buttons). I really like the motto that accompanied the first: "I believe in God; I believe in the Jamaican people; I believe in a better Jamaica."

Yesterday was the 11th anniversary of Carole-Gene Denham's death. I miss her. She died suddenly in South Africa at only 46 years. I remember her because she is "one-of-a-kind", because her affirmations are still present in my mind, because she really made a difference in the lives of others, because she is special. It still hurts some - that her soul has departed. Gene actually wondered whether we would forget her, but she is - as they say - unforgettable.

Last night I ran into the "Bad Man Culture" Blog (www.schleicher.blogspot.com/2007/04/bad-man-culture.html) through a Google search. Very interesting in parts. I think these thoughts by a young American man living in the Cockpit Country with the Maroon people in rural Jamaica is worth a read, if you have the time. At any rate, I started to respond to this guy's blog entry, but my thoughts were many and so complex that I needed time to compose myself. I even called J, who said I sounded excited. I guess I am. It's lovely - I am accomplishing one of my goals, hopefully improving my skills and taking the opportunity to express my opinions and emotions on a blog. FINALLY.

Last week I helped J with her manifesto in her campaign to become President, JTS Student Council. I really enjoyed the process and some of the product. Best of all, I coined the creed "Loving Life - Living Love". This inspires me.

I want to become all that I already am, apply all (or most) of what I've learned to date, and be significant by helping many people in ways I can hardly imagine even now. I want to leave a legacy as I noted in my recent goals @ 40. Moreover, I want to become more beautiful on the inside, with the help of God and others....

By God's grace, I don't want to lose it again, if at all possible. For example, I just lost my entire blog entry and had to compose it again from scratch. Actually, I managed to recapture some of my previous poetic musings in the process. For that I am glad. I want to be glad more and more.

Until...

3 comments:

Autonomous Computing Group said...

The beginning of the rest of ones' life is often better than the start when one uses the experiences and challenges of the past to set goals for the future.

a fi mi BLOG said...

Thanks for your comment. I certainly have enough experiences and challenges in my past. I definately want to end better than I have started. Somehow in my thirties I have become - in my opinion - a late bloomer, not living up to my potential. I am currently excited about my goals that I set earlier this year.

Photog D said...

I think that the first part of your life has been a process in preparing you for what follows. You are already a strong Jamaican. Keep your focus and "the rest of" will be wonderful.